How to Install Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2
In this article, we’ll learn the “steps to install Windows Server 2016”, also known as “Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2”. In May 2015, Microsoft announced the release of Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2. We can see almost the same look and feel that we enjoyed in 2003. In future articles, we’ll talk more about the new features introduced.
1. To install Windows Server 2016 technical preview 2. Burn the ISO image to DVD. Insert the DVD in Computer and select an option to boot from DVD.
2. Select language, time and currency format and keyboard and input method. Depending on your language and keyboard format select them. Click on next to continue.
3. Click on “Install Now” to being the installation of “Windows Server 2016 technical preview 2″.
4. It offers two options to install the Operating System.
a) Windows Server Technical Preview 2: This is more like a core version of Operating System. It doesn’t have GUI mode installed. However, you can manage this Computer manually, remotely or by using PowerShell or other tools.
b) Windows Server Technical Preview 2 (with local admin tools): This option provides compatibility with the admin tool. It can be deployed when admin tools are required.
5. Read and accept the agreement if you agree with the agreement. Click on next to continue.
6. We can see two options of installation. For this example, click on Custom install.
a) Upgrade: This option is to upgrade old version of Operating System. Prerequisite is to have a supported version of Operating System installed before initiating the upgrade process.
b) Custom: Install Windows only (advanced): If you are doing first time installation then select this option. This option is also used to create partitions, modify and delete partitions. If you already have an OS installed then ensure that you take backup of files and folder before provisioning Operating System.
7. We only have one Disk attached to this box. This window will list all the disks that are attached to your Computer.
8. To create a partition, click on new and specify the size of first partition. For this practical, we’ll specify the size of 30 GB. Click on apply.
9. Window would create additional partitions to ensure that Windows features work correctly. Click on ok.
10. Window automatically created “Drive 0 Partition 1: System Reserved” partition. To install Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2, primary partition of 30 GB is what we created, still we have unallocated space of 30 GB. We can further use it to create partitions. Click on next to continue.
11. Technical Preview 2 installation will be started. This would take couple of minutes and would restart the computer automatically once the installation is completed successfully.
12. After restart, login with Administrator account. Click on Ok to reset the password of Administrator.
13. Type Administrator’s new password and then type it again in confirm password option and hit Enter to continue.
14. Once you login you’ll see “Server Manager” window would open automatically. Connect to cloud services is an additional feature that Microsoft has provided in this version. We’ll talk about all the new features of Windows Server 2016T Technical Preview 2 in future articles.
15. Another window that would open automatically is “Command Prompt”.
By default we don’t have Taskbar and Start button on Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2 ..!!
Steps to install Server Graphical Shell on Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 2. By default GUI mode is not installed, let’s learn the steps to install GUI on Windows Server Technical Preview 2.
1. In “Server Manager”, click on “Add roles and features”.
2. Click on next to continue.
3. Select “Role-based or feature-based installation” and click next to continue.
4. Select the machine on which you want to install the “Server Graphical Shell” and click on next.
5. We don’t need to install any role therefore don’t select any additional option, click on next to continue.
6. In “Select features” window, scroll down and expand “User Interface and Infrastructure (1 of 3 installed)” option and select “Server Graphical Shell”. Click next.
7. Select the option “Restart the destination server automatically if required”, this would restart the machine if role requires reboot. Click on “Install” to start the installation of “Server Graphical Shell”.
8. Wait for the installation to be completed, this would restart the Computer.
9. Press “Ctrl + Alt + Del” to sign in.
10. Type Administrator password and hit enter.
11. Now we can see start button and taskbar. Now we can manage the machine by using these options.