How to Install DNS in Windows Server 2012 R2
In this article, we’ll learn the steps to install DNS in Windows Server 2012 R2. It is used to translate Domain Name into IP address and IP address into domain name. AD Integrated DNS would get installed and configured automatically when you are promoting a Domain Controller. However you can still have DNS in your environment even if you don’t have Domain Controller in your environment.
Why do we need DNS Server?
Before I explain about DNS, let me ask you about Google. How many of you have visited Google.com, I hope everyone. Next questions is, how often do you visit Google.com. Some of us visit once in day, twice in a day or multiple times in a day. Now the next question, do you know the IP address of Google.com?. No problem if you don’t know the IP address of Google, you can tell me an IP address of Facebook.
That’s ok, if you don’t know IP address of Google or Facebook or don’t remember them because human mind is capable of remembering names however remembering IPs or numbers is difficult. Alternatively, computers only understand IPs i.e. numbers and not names. Therefore, Domain Name System comes into the picture. It keeps record of all the domains and map hostname to IP address. When you type Google.com in your browser, DNS converts this name to an IP address and then communicate with Google. Hope your understanding is clear now.
Let’s begin with the steps to install DNS in Windows Server 2012 R2
1. Open Server Manager.
2. Click on ‘Add roles and features’.
3. On “Add Roles and Features Wizard” we’ll verify all the prerequisites like administrator account has a password, IP address configured etc. should be completed before we install DNS on this box. To continue, click Next.
4. Select ‘Role based or feature based installation’ and click Next.
5. On “Add Roles and Features Wizard” we have the option to select the destination server i.e. In Server Pool all the remotely managed servers listed on which role can be installed, here DC06.
6. On ‘Add Roles and Features Wizard’ check on DNS Server, then another window opens for adding features that are required. Click on Add Features and then click on next to continue.
7. Here, we can verify that if role is selected to install or not. Click next to continue.
8. All the essential features required with AD DS role are already selected. We don’t need to do any modification in this window. Click Next to continue.
9. Additional information can be seen about DNS. Click next to continue.
10. In “Confirm Installation selections” windows, we can see all the roles and features that we have selected to install. In case of any changes, click on previous button to go back and make the changes. Select the option “Restart the destination server automatically if required”, it will restart the computer if required. Click on Install to continue.
11. In “Installation Progress” windows, the installation is in progress when installation is completed click on close to close the wizard. If you close the wizard while installation is in progress, it will continue the installation in background.
12. To verify if the DNS is installed or not. Click on start button and then click on down arrow.
13. DNS icon confirms that DNS is installed successfully. DNS console can also be opened by typing “DNSMGMT.MSC” in command prompt or in run.
Articles you might be interested in: