How to install Citrix XenApp/ XenDesktop 7.8 on Windows Server 2012 R2
In this post, we’ll learn the steps to install Citrix XenApp/ XenDesktop 7.8 on Windows Server 2012 R2. Citrix recently released Citrix XenApp / XenDesktop 7.8. Citrix XenDesktop 7.8 can be used to deliver Virtual Desktop and applications from the single console.
Before we start with the steps to install Citrix XenDesktop 7.8, let’s make a scenario to ensure we all are on same page. Create below mentioned servers:
– Domain Controller: Domain Controller is required for authentication and single sign-on.
– Hypervisor: VMWare ESXi, Hyper-V or XenServer can be used host Virtual Desktops. In this practical, we’ll use VMWare ESXi.
– vCenter Server: vCenter Server is required to connect and manage VMWare ESXi server.
– Delivery Controller: This server would be used to install and manage Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop
Steps to install Citrix XenApp/ XenDesktop 7.8 in Windows server 2012 R2
1. To install Citrix application virtualization, insert the DVD of Citrix XenApp 7.8 or copy and run the executable of XenDesktop 7.8 to Windows Server 2012 R2.
2. To install Citrix XenApp 7.8/ XenDesktop 7.8, right click on DVD and click on “Install or run program from media”.
3. In Installation console, we have two options both are the same product, only different name is shown. We are installing XenDesktop Deliver applications and desktops for application Virtualization and Virtual Desktops. Click on start to continue.
4. Here, we have to install delivery controller from the available options are showing. Each XenDesktop infrastructure requires, at least, one Delivery Controller. Through this option, some other essential services also install like- License Server and StoreFront (StoreFront is an organization app store, that helps users to work from anywhere, any device).
Delivery Controller will install Directory, License Server, Storefront and Studio on the same server. However, you can install above mentioned components on different servers. For this practical, we’ll install all these components on the same server.
5. On “Software licensing Agreement” console, check the option “I read, understand and accept the terms of the license agreement”, if you agree with the license and then click on Next. Console would not allow you to install Citrix XenApp 7.8/ XenDesktop 7.8 if you don’t accept the license.