Steps to Install SCVMM 2012 R2
SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager) is a tool used developed by Microsoft to manage and deploy Virtual machines hosted on Hyper V, VMWare ESXi or Citrix XenServer. In this post we’ll learn the steps to install SCVMM and manage machines using SCVMM. It is also used to manage multiple host in our environment and deploy Virtual Machines. SCVMM can also be used to deploy private cloud in your environment. It can act as a single tool to manage all your hypervisors.
If you are using Hyper V then you can even download the VHD from http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=40843. However you can download an installer from the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-system-center-2012-sp1. Windows Deployment Kit is a pre-requisite to install SCVMM, you can download the same from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982.
Installation of SCVMM 2012 R2 (System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2012 R2) would be done in two phases. In the first phase we’ll install all the pre-requisites required to install SCVMM 2012 R2. In the second phase we’ll install SCVMM 2012 R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2.
Install SCVMM 2012 R2 pre-requisites
We have assumed three Windows Server 2012 R2 servers in our environment. First server is DC01, it would act as a Domain Controller. Second server is VMM01, this would act as a System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server. Third server is HV01, this server would act as a Hyper V server. We would manage HV01 from VMM01 Server. We have added HV01 and VMM01 in the domain.
1. On the Windows Server 2012 R2 server install the Windows Deployment Kit. Run the installer “ADKSETUP”
5. Select the features that we need to install i.e. “Application Compatibility Toolkit, Deployment Tools and Windows Preinstallation Environment”. You can even select SQL Express Server, if you don’t have SQL Server in your environment. We have SQL Server in our environment therefore we’ll not install SQL Server Express. Click on Install to begin the pre-requisite installation.
Install SCVMM 2012 R2 on Windows Server 2012 R2
1. To install SCVMM extract the SCVMM files. Double click on “SC2012_R2_SCVMM”. Click on next, define the path of folder to extract the files, click on extract to begin the extraction of files.
2. Open the folder in which all the files are extract and run the setup file to install SCVMM.
6. Read the license agreement, check the option “I have read, understood and agree with the terms of license agreement” and click on next.
7. Select “Yes”, if you wish to participate in the “Customer Experience Improvement Program” else select No. Please take a note that Microsoft would collect information about your software and hardware configuration if you select “Yes”.
10. This windows will show if all the pre-requisites are successfully deployed or not. Installation of SCVMM would be interrupted if all the pre-requisites are not installed. However we can install SCVMM in case of any warnings.
11. To install SCVMM, database server is required. We have already installed SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 and named it DB01.
12. To install SCVMM 2012 R2, click on browse and type the name of SQL Server. In this practical, DB01 is our Database server. It would automatically pick the information of “Instance Name” and new database name. However, you can change the name of database server. Specify the Domain credentials and password. Click on next to continue.