How to add Hyper-V Server in SCVMM 2012 R2
In this post we’ll learn the steps to add Hyper-V Server in SCVMM 2012 R2. In the old post we learned the steps to install Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012 R2 and in other post we learned the steps to install SCVMM 2012 R2. If you have multiple Hyper-V server then SCVMM (System Center Virtual Machine Manager) is required to manage multiple Hyper-V servers.
It can be used to create a private cloud in your Organization. All the advanced administrative tasks can be performed by using SCVMM 2012 R2 e.g. creating Virtual Machine template, creating virtual machines using templates, migrate virtual machines from one Hyper-V server to another Hyper-V host, create and manage checkpoints, manage cloud, create services, etc.
Step by step guide to add Hyper-V server in SCVMM 2012 R2.
1. To add Hyper-V server in SCVMM 2012 R2, click on start button and click on down arrow and select “Virtual Machine Manager Console”.
2. In the Server name type the name of Host on which SCVMM is installed. If you are managing remote computer then type name of the server else type localhost:8100 for the local Host. If you are logged in with the credentials who have rights to manage the server then select “Use Current Microsoft Windows session identity” else specify credentials and click on connect.
3. Once the “Virtual Machine Manager Console” is opened. We can see multiple options like VMs and Services, Fabric, Library, Jobs and settings. Select VMs and Services. We’ll understand other options in upcoming articles.
4. Under “VMs and Services” select All Hosts. Right click on “All Hosts” and select “Add Hyper-V Hosts and Clusters”. SCVMM can also be used to manage Citrix XenCenter hosts and cluster and VMWare ESX hosts and clusters.
5. In the “Resource Location” console select “Windows Server computers in a trusted Active Directory domain”. Click on next to continue.
6. In the “Credentials” console click on “Browse” and select the services account. This service account would be used to install Virtual Machine manager to Hyper-V Host. You can even define the credentials manually. SCVMM server would interact with Virtual machine manager agent to manage Hyper-V Host. Click on next to continue.
7. In the “Discovery Scope” console, type the name of all the Hyper-V Servers that you want to manage using SCVMM 2012 R2. For this example, we’ll type “HV01.itingredients.com”. You can type multiple name of multiple Hyper-V servers, each Hyper-V host should in separate line. Either you can define server’s netbios name, FQDN of Hyper-V host or an IP address. Click on next to continue.
8. Auto discovery will discover the Active Directory domain to check the computer and show under “Discovered Computers”. Select all the Hyper-V servers that you want to manage using SCVMM 2012 R2. Click on next to continue.
9. In the “Host group”, select the “Host Group” in which you want to add the hypervisor.
10. In the summary tab verify and confirm the settings. In case of any changes click on previous button to change the settings else click on Finish.
11. In the recent job, we can see the progress to add Hyper-V server in SCVMM 2012 R2.
12. Once the Hypervisor is successfully added, it can be seen under “All Hosts”. All the Virtual machines hosted on the Hyper-V servers can be seen on the right hand side console.
Similarly you can add multiple Hyper-V servers in SCVMM 2012 R2. It would be used as the single console to manage multiple Hyper-V hosts. To create Virtual machines either you can right click on “HV01” i.e. the Hyper-V server and select “Create Virtual Machine” or from the top menu select “Create Virtual Machine” to create new Virtual machines.