How to create Virtual Machine using VM template in SCVMM 2012 R2
In this post, we’ll learn with the steps to create Virtual Machine using VM template in SCVMM 2012 R2. Once the Virutal Machine is created, you can convert the VM into template and then Virtual Machine template can be used to deploy multiple VMs in the environment. Before creating VM, you can install all the base applications and then follow the steps given in this article to create Virtual Machine using VM template. It saves time and efforts. Moreover new machine can be created with a few clicks.
Steps to create Virtual Machine using VM template in SCVMM 2012 R2
1. To create Virtual Machine using VM template in SCVMM 2012 R2, open “Virtual Machine manager” console either from the desktop shortcut icon or from the start menu and type the name of SCVMM server followed by port number and credentials to login. Click on connect.
2. In the SCVMM 2012 R2 console, select “VMs and Services” and then from top menu click on “Create Virtual Machine” to create a virtual machine using VM template.
3. On “Select source” console, select an option “Use an existing virtual machine, VM template, or virtual hard disk”. Even you can select “Create the new virtual machien with a blank virtual hard disk” while creating new Virtual Machine. Click on Browse to select the VM Template for creating the new virtual machine.
4. On “Select Virtual Machine” Console, We Selected “2K12-Temp” as a source file. This is the VM template that we have created, even you can select 2K12-01_disk_1. This is the VHDX i.e. hard disk of another Virtual Machine.
5. To create Virtual Machine using VM template, on “Specify Virtual Machine Identity” console, enter the name. If we don’t enter any name here than, VMM automatically generates name based on the Computer name.
6. On ‘Configure Hardware” Console, Select Hyper-V. You can even change the configuration e.g. Processor, Memory, networks, etc.
7. In this console, enter a computer name that you want to assign. We have used 2K12-02 as the name of Computer. From this console, we can also configure identity, network settings and scripts for new virtual machines. Moreover, we can define the Admin password, Product Key, Time zone, define the Domain name or Workgroup, etc.
8. On “Select Destination” console, We have to choose destination to deploy or to store the files. We are deploying this computer on Hyper-V server. Click on next to continue.
9. On the “Select host” window. Select the Hyper-V server on which you want to host this VM. In this example, we can see only one Hyper-V server as we have not added any other Hyper-V server in the SCVMM 2012 R2. Click on next to continue.
10. In the “Configure Settings” console, review the virtual machine settings. In case of any changes, click on previous and make the changes, else click on next to continue.
11. In the “Select networks” console. Specify the virtual switches to use for the machines. For this example, we are not using any.
12. Select the action to be performed when virtualization server starts and action to be taken when virtualization server stops.
13. Confirm the settings. Even you can select an option “start the virtual machine after deploying it” to start the machine after VM creation is completed. Click on create to start the VM creation process. It would run multiple tasks at the background. You can see the running job under Job’s section.
14. Once the instance is created successfully, we can see it under Hyper-V server.
15. To power on the machine, select the Computer name and click on “Power On” option from the top menu. Even you can right click on the Computer name and select “Power On” option.
16. Even we can connect the console of VM by clicking on “Connect or View” option from the top menu and select “Connect via Console”. This would show the console of Computer.